The Trade Marks Register is split into 45 different classes, 34 of them being in respect of particular Products and the remaining 11 of them being in respect of particular Services. It is important to register your trade mark in the class(es) in which the relevant Products or Services fall.
Whilst by no means complete (one one have to refer to the comprehensive classification index for this), the class headings set out below nonetheless broadly classify the various Goods and Services of relevance.
1. Chemicals used in industry, science and photography, as well as in agriculture, horticulture and forestry; unprocessed artificial resins, unprocessed plastics; manures; fire extinguishing compositions; tempering and soldering preparations; chemical substances for preserving foodstuffs; tanning substances; adhesives used in industry.
2. Paints, varnishes, lacquers; preservatives against rust and against deterioration of woods; colorants; mordants; raw natural resins; metals in foil and powder form for painters; decorators, printers and artists.
3. Bleaching preparations and other substances for laundry use; cleaning, polishing, sourcing and abrasive preparations; soaps; perfumery; essential oils; cosmetics; hair lotions; dentifrices.
4. Industrial oils and greases; lubricants; dust absorbing; wetting and binding compositions; fuels (including motor spirit) and illuminants; candles and wicks for lighting.
5. Pharmaceutical and veterinary preparations; sanitary preparations for medical purposes; dietetic substances adapted for medical use, food for babies; plasters, materials for dressings; materials for stopping teeth, dental wax; disinfectants; preparations for destroying vermin; fungicides, herbicides.
6. Common metals and their alloys; metal building materials; transportable buildings of metal; materials of metal for railway tracks; non-electric cables and wires for common metal; ironmongery; small items of metal hardware; pipes and tubes of metal; safes; goods for common metal not included in other classes; ores
7. Machines and machine tools; motors and engines (except for land vehicles); machine coupling and transmission components (except for land vehicles); agricultural implements other than hand-operated; incubators for eggs.
8. Hand tools and implements (hand-operated); cutlery; side arms; razors.
9. Scientific, nautical, surveying, photographic, cinematographic, optical, weighing, measuring, signaling, checking (supervision), life-saving and teaching apparatus and instruments; apparatus and instruments for conducting, switching, transforming, accumulating, regulating or controlling electricity; apparatus for recording, transmission or reproduction of sound or images; magnetic data carriers, recording discs; automatic vending machines and mechanisms for coin-operated apparatus; cash registers, calculating machines, data processing equipment and computers; fire extinguishing apparatus.
10. Surgical, medical, dental and veterinary apparatus and instruments, artificial limbs, eyes, and teeth; orthopedic articles; suture materials.
11. Apparatus for lighting, heating, steam generating, cooking, refrigerating, drying, ventilating, water supply and sanitary purposes
12. Vehicles; apparatus for locomotion by land, air or water
13. Firearms; ammunition and projectiles; explosives; fireworks
14. Precious metals and their alloys and goods in precious metals or coated therewith, not included in other classes; jewellery, precious stones; horological and chronometric instruments
15. Musical instruments
16. Paper, cardboard and goods made from these materials, not included in other classes; printed matters, bookbinding materials; paint brushes; typewriters and office requisites (except furniture); instructional and teaching material (except apparatus); plastic materials for packaging (not included in other classes); printer types; printing blocks.
17. Rubber; gutta-percha, gum, asbestos, mica and goods made from these materials and not included in other classes; plastics in extruded form for use in manufacture; packing, stopping and insulating materials; flexible pipes, not of metal.
18. Leather and imitations of leather, and goods made of these materials and not included in other classes’ animal skins, hides,; trunks and traveling bags; umbrellas, parasols and walking sticks; whips, harness and saddlery
19. Building materials (non-metallic); non metallic rigid pipes for building; asphalt, pitch and bitumen; non-metallic transportable buildings; monuments, not of metal
20. Furniture, mirrors, picture frames; goods (not included in other classes) of wood, cork, reed, cane, wicker, horn, bone, ivory, whalebone, shell, amber, mother-of-pearl, meerschaum and substitutes for all these materials, or of plastics
21. Household or kitchen utensils and containers; combs and sponges; brushes (except paint brushes); brush-making materials; articles for cleaning purposes; steelwool; un-worked or semi-worked glass (except glass used in building); glassware, porcelain and earthenware not included in other classes
22. Ropes, string, nets, tents, awnings, tarpaulins, sails, sacks and bags (not included in other classes); padding and stuffing materials (except for rubber or plastics); raw fibrous textile materials
23. Yarns and threads, fro textile use
24. Textiles and textile goods, not included in other classes; beds and table covers
25. Clothing; footwear; headgear
26. Lace and embroidery, ribbons and braid; buttons, hoods and eyes, pins and needles; artificial flowers
27. Carpets, rugs, mats and matting, linoleum and other materials for covering existing floors, wall hangings (non-textile)
28. Games and playthings; gymnastic and sporting articles not included in other classes; decorations for Christmas trees
29. Meat, fish, poultry and game; meat extracts; preserved, frozen, dried and cooked fruits and vegetables; jellies, jams, compotes’ eggs, milk and milk products; edible oils and fats
30. Coffee, tea, cocoa, sugar, rice, tapioca, sago, artificial coffee; flour and preparations made from cereals, bread, pastry and confectionery, ices; honey, treacle; yeast, baking powder; salt, mustard; vinegar, sauces (condiments); spices, ice
31. Agricultural, horticultural and forestry products and grains not included in other classes; live animals; fresh fruits and vegetables; seeds, natural plants and flowers; foodstuffs for animals, malt
32. Beers; mineral and aerated waters and other non-alcoholic drinks, fruit drinks and fruit juices; syrups and other preparations for making beverages
33. Alcoholic beverages (except beers)
34. Tobacco; smokers’ articles; matches
35. Advertising, business management; business administration, office functions
36. Insurance; financial affairs; monetary affairs; real estate affairs
37. Building construction; repair; installation services
39. Transport; packaging and storage of goods; travel arrangement
40. Treatment of materials
41. Education; providing of training; entertainment; sporting and cultural activities
42. Scientific and technological services and research and design relating thereto; industrial analysis and research services; design and development of computer hardware and software
43. Service for providing food and drink; temporary accommodation
44. Medical services; veterinary services; hygienic and beauty care for human beings or animals; agriculture, horticulture and forestry services
45. Legal services; security services for protection of property and individuals; personal and social services rendered by other to meet the needs of individuals.